2023-24 Graduate Academic Catalog

2023–24 Graduate Academic Catalog Page 15 Academic Information Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Credit hours transferred from institutions where quarter hours are awarded will be assigned the equivalent number of semester hours using the formula of three quarter hours being equivalent to two semester hours. For international colleges or universities, the international equivalent of regional accreditation or Ministry of Education recognition will be considered. If transcripts are in a language other than English or are from a non-U.S. college/university, the original transcript must be submitted to a credential evaluation service. The original transcript should be submitted along with the official evaluation from the evaluation agency. The cost for credential verification and translation is the responsibility of the applicant. Cedarville recommends the following credential evaluation/translation services: • Academic Evaluation Services, Inc. • International Consultants of Delaware (ICD) • International Education Research Foundation (IERF) • World Education Services (WES) Additional information concerning the transfer of credits is available from the Office of the Registrar, upon request. Institutional Test-Out Qualified students may earn credit toward graduation by passing the appropriate examinations with a grade of “B” or better. A student interested in testing out should obtain a test-out request form from the Office of the Registrar, obtain approval for the test out from the program director or dean of the school in which the course is offered, and pay the test-out fee of $10 per credit hour in the Cashiers Office. No fee, other than the initial test-out fee, must be paid to receive institutional test-out credit. Tests must be taken at least three weeks prior to the beginning of the course. Upon completion of the approval process, the student is responsible to contact the program advisor, program director, or dean of the school in which the course is offered to schedule the test. At the conclusion of the testing process, the test-out form will be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar, denoting whether or not the student met the minimum criteria for credit. If applicable, credit for the course and a designation of test-out will be added to the student’s transcript with a grade of CE (credit by examination). This grade is not computed into the cumulative GPA. A student may not test out of a course previously audited. Nontraditional Learning Credit for prior learning in non-traditional settings may be granted on a limited basis by individual graduate programs. External certification and assessment by organizations such as the American Council of Education strengthens the student’s petition but does not guarantee credit. Students interested in requesting credit for prior learning should contact the program director or dean of their respective program. Transient Study Students enrolled in other colleges or universities may take courses at Cedarville University on a “permission to take courses” basis. The student must complete a graduate application and be accepted prior to registering for classes. A maximum of 18 credit hours may be taken at Cedarville University by a transient graduate student. Students enrolled at Cedarville University and completing coursework as a degree-seeking student may complete coursework as a nondegree-seeking student at other institutions. However, the coursework must be approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies or director of the graduate program at Cedarville that would accept the transfer credit. This approval must occur before the course is taken. Graduation Requirements Completion of all listed requirements for a program, including a defined minimum cumulative GPA within the given program is required to be certified for graduation. Intent to Graduate To graduate, whether or not you plan to attend commencement, you must submit an “Intent to Graduate” form and pay any applicable fees. An Intent to Graduate form is available at cedarville.edu/gradintent. You are encouraged to submit your Intent to Graduate at least one semester in advance so that you can be informed of any problems in meeting your degree requirements. After receipt of your Intent to Graduate, the Office of the Registrar will audit your transcript to verify the status of your degree requirements. Upon confirmation of your eligibility to graduate, you will be notified and your name will be added to the list of prospective graduates, as appropriate. The deadline for submitting your Intent to Graduate form is March 1 of the commencement year. After this date, eligibility to participate in commencement will be deferred to the following year. A graduation fee of $125 will be charged to your student account after your eligibility for graduation is confirmed. Graduation with Distinction Upon the recommendation of the faculty and approval of the Cabinet, PharmD graduates who earn a GPA of at least 3.90 will graduate “with Distinction”; and one who earns a GPA of at least 3.95 will graduate “with High Distinction.” Graduation distinctions are determined on the basis of the actual cumulative grade point average without rounding. No graduation honors have been approved for master degree levels. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Cedarville University complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (the Buckley Amendment), which is designed to protect the privacy of educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. The University has adopted a policy that explains in detail the procedures followed for compliance with provisions of the act. Copies of the policy are available in the Office of the Registrar.